15. Technical Tutorial #2 Capacitive Touch Sensor & Buttons

Today's tutorial stuff will be more of a refresher since it's been almost a year since I worked on this stuff. Gonna try to wire things up so that the buttons play different tracks. I might include the different types of input as a part of the final artefact so that there are different tactile responses. I'm not quite sure if they count as my required technical working prototype, since it's loosely what I'll need to put into my final artefact.

(Left to Right) Cytron UNO with Easy MP3 Shield, DF Robot Capacitive Touch Sensor, Buttons on Breadboard
The Easy MP3 Shield has been covered in the previous post.
I've used a loaned Capacitive Touch Sensor on my Mimic project, where I placed the sensor at the top of the box so that users could "pet" the mimic to calm it down. It didn't work very well, since the sensor was attached to the inside of the box, and the "skin" or "wood" of the Mimic was a little thick.
The top of the box before it was painted. Each wood plank is actually hot glue squeezed onto a mold made of paper clay
For starters, I'm looking at DF Robot's Wiki for their touch sensor
Screenshot from DF Robot's wiki page
The sample was straight forward enough to follow, and I could turn on my LEd no problem.

The next basic refresher I tried was for the buttons. The tutorial comes with a helpful basic diagram.
You'd think I'd be familiar with all this by now, but I actually struggled for a moment before I remembered that breadboards are linked in different directions in the inner and outer portions. I don't think it's necessary to upload a video for just pressing buttons, so I'll include it in the prototyping post/video.


Bibliography: 
DF Robot Wiki (n.d.) DFRobot Capacitive Touch Sensor SKU:DFR0030 [online] Available at: https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/DFRobot_Capacitive_Touch_Sensor_SKU:DFR0030 [Accessed 26 Dec. 2018]

Programming Electronics Academy (n.d.) TUTORIAL 17: USING A BUTTON WITH ARDUINO [online] Available at: https://programmingelectronics.com/tutorial-17-using-a-button-old-version/ [Accessed 26 Dec. 2018]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16. Material Research #1 Sculpting, Silicone Mould Making, Resin Casting

1. Initial Ideation

18. Project Technical Equipment and Outcomes