9. Idea Refinement + Sketches

Managed to talk to both Julian and Michael on Wednesday to work on the idea, and Julian's managed to give very useful technical input on what's feasible. I've decided to work the launchpad music into the sculpture/mold of the heart itself, and Julian told me about conductive cotton, which I can try to incorporate into the veins/arteries of the heart. With this in mind, I wanted to further develop the associations of the music beats and rhythms with the anatomy of a heart. This required a quick refresher in basic anatomy, which I haven't really thought about since graduating high school.

I'm thinking of associating the parts of the heart which pump oxygenated blood (orange parts) with sounds that represent life and hope, and the blue parts which pump deoxygenated blood with sounds that are associated with death and despair. I also want to find a way to incorporate the different parts of the heart (valves, major veins and arteries, and different chambers) with different types of sound. For example, the user could squeeze the left ventricle in order to trigger a basic beat that was a little cheerful. Squeezing the veins or arteries could trigger certain melodies.


Another thing I'm considering is the presentation of the artefact. Currently toying with the idea of hanging the upper torso of a mannequin from the ceiling, with the mannequin's arms posed to look like it's cradling the heart, which is hanging out of the torso (note: find out if mannequins have hollow torsos). This would be an interesting way to present, since it means the installation might be made to look like it's "floating". I'd need to take a look at whether this is possible though - I have no idea if the ceilings in potential exhibit spaces have hooks or can bear any weight.


I'm happy with the current progress, and will continue to map out my 'heart launchpad' as I collect ideas and feedback on what types of sounds to include. Furthermore, I'm considering whether I'll need to sculpt a heart that is larger than a human heart in order to fit all the sensors or triggers I'll need to place inside them.


Bonus pic: Haven't had to draw human anatomy in a while, so I posed for a reference pic






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16. Material Research #1 Sculpting, Silicone Mould Making, Resin Casting

1. Initial Ideation

18. Project Technical Equipment and Outcomes